Jul 2, 2012

Trilogy Week #31 - American Movies

Hi everybody, It's been about a month since I've been on here. First I went on vacation, then I stared a new job, so I'm playing catch up. 


Anyways, this is fourth of July weekend so lets watch some movies with America in the title.







Title: American Pie
Year: 1999
Director: Paul Weitz
Cast: Jason Biggs, Chris Klein, Thomas Ian Nicholas, Alyson Hannigan, Shannon Elizabeth, Tara Reid, Eddie Kaye Thomas, Sean William Scott, Mena Suvari, Eugene Levy
Rated: R
Running Time: 1hr. 35mins.

My Review: I loved this movie when I first saw it. But returning to this movie years later, it doesn't hold up as well a I remember it. It's still funny, but I guess it's getting a little stale, especially with a the stupid sequels that came out afterword. Something that really surprised me is that besides Sean William Scott, Alyson Hannigan, and Eugene Levy, you don't see these actors anymore. Their careers just vanished, but I'm not complaining. 6 out of 10 apple pies.

Red Band Trailer 
NSFW





Title: American Beauty
Year: 1999
Director: Sam Mendes
Cast: Kevin Spacey, Annette Bening, Thora Birch, Wes Bentley, Chris Cooper, Mena Suvari
Rated: R
Running Time: 2hr. 2mins.

My Review: A great movie, that hasn't gotten stale. I think I enjoy this film more now, than when it came out. I love Kevin Spacey, he's a great actor, but I'm surprised that Wes Bentley hasn't done more, he does such a good job in this movie. Him and Kevin Spacey make this movie work. The title of the film refers to a breed of roses that while pretty and appealing in appearance, is often prone to rot underneath at the roots and branches of the plant. Thus, the tagline "...look closer" tells the viewer that when they look beyond the "perfect suburban life" they will find something rancid at the root. 9 out of 10 plastic bags.









Title: American Psycho
Year: 2000
Director: Mary Harron
Cast: Christian Bale, Reese Witherspoon, Chloe Sevigny, Willem Defoe, Jared Leto
Rated: R
Running Time: 1hr. 42mins.

My Review: This movie is just fun to watch. Christian Bale plays such a weird character, by the way he talks and acts, you can tell he's trying really hard to hide his evil self underneath. Something that really surprised me is that you never see any of the kills, and by that I mean you don't see the ax to the head, or the chainsaw dropping on the girl, like you see gore in a average horror film, in this the killing is done of camera. But yet this film had an NC-17 rating. Maybe it's different in the uncut version, but I did not find this movie to be as violent to a lot of slasher films. 8 out of 10 Huey Lewis Albums.



No comments:

Post a Comment