May 28, 2012

Trilogy Week #30 - War Is Hell

Happy Memorial Day everybody! Today's the day we remember the ones who have lost their lives defending our country. So here's three movies about war, from three different wars.





Title: Saving Private Ryan
Year: 1998
Director: Steven Spielberg
Cast: Tom Hanks, Matt Damon, Tom Sizemore, Edward Burns, Barry Pepper, Adam Goldberg, Vin Diesel, Giovanni Ribisi
Rated: R
Running Time: 2hr. 50min.

My Review: This one is a hard one for me to watch. The way Spielberg shows the act of war feels so real to me, that every death makes me flinch. Especially the death scene of Adam Goldberg's character, and the battle of Normandy seriously shake you awake, and will be burned into your mind forever. The acting is fantastic to watch, even Vin Diesel is great. You couldn't ask for a better group of actors for this movie. The movie is a 10, but I gave it a 7 because it's hard to watch multiple times for how brutal the reality can get. 7 out of 10 letters home







Title: The Hurt Locker
Year: 2008
Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Cast: Jeremy Renner, Anthony Mackie, Brian Geraghty, Guy Pearce, Ralph Fiennes, David Morse
Rated: R
Running Time: 2hr. 12min.

My Review: From what I've heard this movie is one of the most accurate depictions of the war in Iraq. I don't know about that, because I've never been there, but I do find this movie highly intriguing. It's so fascinating to watch has they walk towards live bombs. You watch like a fly on the wall as they try to disarm these homemade bombs. Their is so much intensity that you can even feel the sweat on their brows. 8 out of 10 bootleg dvds









Title: Full Metal Jacket
Year: 1987
Director: Stanley Kubrick
Cast: Matthew Modine, R. Lee Ermey, Vincent D'Onofrio, Adam Baldwin
Rated: R
Running Time: 1hr. 56min.

My Review: My favorite of the three. This one is like watching two movies in one. The first half is very funny, the way it depicts boot camp. Then it pushes you back into reality with the suicide of private pyle, and we are shoved into the middle of the Vietnam War. The two memorable actors have to be Vincent D'Onofrio (who gained 70 pounds for his role, beating Robert De Niro's record of 60 pounds for Raging Bull.) and R. Lee Ermey, who was a real drill instructor, and most of his dialogue was improvised.  9 out of 10 bars of soap in a sock




No comments:

Post a Comment