May 13, 2012

Trilogy Week #28 - Women in Sports

I know today is Mother's Day, and these three movies have nothing to do with Mother's Day, but I couldn't find some Mother's Day movies that I wanted to use, so instead I'm featuring women in sports movies. My correlation between the two is strength. If you are a good mother, I believe you are a good mother because you are a strong women. And women in sports are strong women. So let's celebrate strong women in sports, which a lot of them were moms too, so yeah. Another thing is that I didn't notice until I posted this was that all three of these films were directed by actors. Well blah blah blah, Happy Mother's Day.





Title: A League of Their Own
Year: 1992
Director: Penny Marshall
Cast: Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, Madonna, Rosie O'Donnell, Lori Petty, Jon Lovitz, David Straithairn, Bill Pullman
Rated: PG
Running Time: 2hr. 10min.

My Review:  I love period pieces, they always fascinate me. Especially about a moment in history that I was not aware of. So that's what attracted me to watch this film. This is a fun movie to watch, the best part in my opinion is Tom Hanks, and Jon Lovitz. Surprisingly even Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell do a descent job.  7 out of 10 Chubby Fat Kids






Title: Whip It!
Year: 2009
Director: Drew Barrymore
Cast: Ellen Page, Kristen Wiig, Drew Barrymore, Alia Shawkat, Juliette Lewis, Mary Gay Harden, Daniel Stern, Andrew Wilson, Zoe Bell, Eve,  Jimmy Fallon
Rated: PG-13
Running Time: 1hr. 50min.

My Review: Awesome movie, I've been interested in watching a movie about Roller Derby, but the only one that I knew of was Rollerball, and that wasn't going to happen. But now we have Whip It!, by first time director Drew Barrymore. As this being her directorial debut, I was very impressed. Also with an all-star cast that I was very happy to see, this is one "chick flick" that I highly recommend for anybody. 8 out of 10 Squealers






Title: Million Dollar Baby
Year: 2004
Director: Clint Eastwood
Cast: Hilary Swank, Clint Eastwood, Morgan Freeman, Jay Baruchel
Rated: PG-13
Running Time: 2hr. 12min.

My Review: I almost didn't add this movie, because it doesn't have the fun light hearted feel that the other two movies have, but in the realm of strong women in sports, it hails in comparison. A female boxer, you can't get more hardcore than that. And the determination Hilary Swank's character has is very inspiring. Even though it has a tragic ending, I still think that it is a very beautiful movie, and Clint Eastwood, and Morgan Freeman are excellent, and Jay Baruchel is awesome as the comic relief. Now I know their is a mother in this movie, but ignore her, because she is not a model to look at for a good mothers. 8 out of 10 White Trash Families







No comments:

Post a Comment