Oct 30, 2012

Trilogy Week #48 - Best Makeup Effects

It's the last week of October so now I've saved the best for last. To watch three movies with the best makeup effects. What can make or break a good horror movie is the effects, they are the touchstone of the genre. Going back to the birth of cinema. But recently makeup effects have started to take a back seat to CG effects. Which is sad, when you see a CG effects used that could have made a convincing makeup effect instead, it's very disappointing. To me it almost feels like cheating. Don't get me wrong CG effects are cool, and they have their place. But when they are used instead of props or prosthetic, it shows they laziness of the film makers. So let's this week celebrate the fantastic work of Rick Baker, Rob Bottin, and Chris Walas.









Title: An American Werewolf In London
Year: 1981
Director: John Landis
Cast: David Naughton, Griffin Dunne, Jenny Agutter, John Woodvine
Rated: R
Running Time: 1hr. 37mins.

My Review: A very surprising movie coming from director John Landis. Usually making comedies, like Animal House, or the Blues Brothers. Then he comes out with a great horror movie. With the greatest werewolf transformation sequence I've ever seen, from Rick Baker. No movie with a CG transformation could ever touch this scene. Because this was so mind blowing for it's technical achievement, Rick Baker received the first ever Academy Award for best Makeup. A very simplistic story, not bogged down with heavy handedness. A great monster movie, that will be a classic for many years to come. 8 out of 10 Nazi werewolves. 









Title: The Thing
Year: 1982
Director: John Carpenter
Cast: Kurt Russell, Wilford Brimley, Keith David
Rated: R
Running Time: 1hr. 48mins.

My Review: I don't know why it has taken be so long to see this movie. It is amazing. Rob Bottin's make up effects are ground breaking. I've never seen such an eye for detail. A great story about not knowing who to trust, and trying to find out which one of your friends might be an alien. And when the alien shows it's self, it happens in the most original ways I've ever seen. There's not much I can say about it without spoiling it if you haven't seen it yet. So go watch it now. 9 out of 10 crawling heads.








Title: The Fly
Year: 1986
Director: David Cronenberg
Cast: Jeff Goldblum, Geena Davis, John Getz
Rated: R
Running Time: 1hr. 31mins.

My Review: One of the best re-makes ever. I think David Cronenberg is a genius when it comes to creating a creepy environment. And this has it in spades. This is a perfect role for Jeff Goldblum playing a scientist, who is going crazy about his new invention. When I saw this as a kid I thought it was real, there was no doubt in my mind that this was an makeup. And watching again, I'm still amazed at how astonishing these effects by Chris Walas are. 9 out of 10 inside-out baboons.



No comments:

Post a Comment