Mar 12, 2012

Trilogy Week #19 - Green Movies

Just in time for St. Patty's Day, enjoy some "green" movies. Now these movies don't have leprechauns, or pots of gold, or anything to do with St. Patrick's Day, nor are they "green" movies about the environment. No, these are movies with only one thing in common. The titles of these movies have the word green in them. That's it... oh and all three of these films do have murder in them... so there's that... So while you're preparing yourself for some green beer binge drinking, or cuddling up on the couch with a shamrock shake trying to get rid of your hangover on Sunday. Here are three movies you might enjoy.








Title: The Green Mile
Year: 1999
Director: Frank Darabont
Cast: Tom Hanks, Michael Clark Duncan, David Morse, James Cromwell, Sam Rockwell, Barry Pepper, Michael Jeter, Doug Hutchison, Jeffrey DeMunn, Harry Dean Stanton
Rated: R

My Review: One of my favorite films. I love the work of Frank Darabont. Like Shawshank Redemption, and the Walking Dead. Here he directs another book by Stephen King. I had know idea going into this film when I first saw it that there was this sense of "magic" in it, or hinting about some type of spiritual force. It really surprised me and got my attention. This is one of those movies where, if I'm just flipping through the channels, and this is on, I stay and watch it. It has a way of sucking you in. The character work in this film is great, especially Sam Rockwell. This is where he first caught my attention, and I've been following his career ever since. His character walks that fine line of crazy, between funny and scary so well, that he deserves some type of bad ass award for it. And don't get my started on Doug Hutchison as Percy. I fucking hate his character. He plays the character so horribly well, that I get really angry when I see Percy, that I want to jump into the screen and strangle him to death. Ever since this movie every time I see Doug Huchison on TV, I always murmur "fuckin' Percy" to myself. And how did he get such a fine piece of jail-bait like Courtney Alexis Stodden?! Kill me now! 9 out of 10






Title: Green Street Hooligans
Year: 2005
Director: Lexi Alexander
Cast: Elijah Wood, Charlie Hunnam
Rated: R

My Review: Very underrated film. Elijah Wood fresh of the Lord of the Rings. Goes to England to make a movie about soccer hooligans. Even if you don't care about soccer or "football" which is a shame, this is a very interesting film how the clubs of hooligans operate. Lexi Anderson (Punisher War Zone) has a very good directing eye. And can make a compelling gritty action movie without cheap cliches. If you like soccer, or british kid punching in faces, you'll love this movie. 7 out of 10

NSFW





Title: Soylent Green
Year: 1973
Director: Richard Fleischer
Cast: Charlton Heston, Edward G. Robinson, Leigh Taylor-Young, Chuck Conners, Joseph Cotten, Brock Peters
Rated: PG

My Review: What is soylent green? What is soylent green? What is soylent green? Well if you don't know, or have never watch TV were they play the infamous tag line of the movie, then you have know idea what soylent green is. Now the movie does a good job about keeping that a secret. You don't find out until the very end. Now if you're like me and had the secret spoiled for you, you'll just sit there waiting, when do they get to it? When does he find out? When is the secret revealed? And then it happens, and then... nothing... the movie is over.... Bullshit! I need closure! what are they going to do about it. How do they stop it? I wasn't waiting for the secret to be revealed, I was waiting for a conclusion! If you haven't already guessed, I hated this movie. It's one big tease, which isn't really that important. That's not what the story is about. The story is about who killed this rich dude, oh and by the way remember that soylent green stuff you heard mention on the TV at the beginning of the movie? this is what it is.... NOOOOOOOOOOO! IT CAN'T BE!!!!!.... So who killed the rich dude? doesn't matter the movie's over. Ha ha, fuck you. Then you see a giant hand flipping you off as the credits roll. But the acting was good.... so, there's that.... 3 out of 10 







No comments:

Post a Comment