Nov 28, 2011

Trilogy Week #4 Arny Week

I recently bought True Lies and Total Recall on dvd. And to my astonishment my brother Jonny had never seen them. I was so amazed that I said, "ok the next movie trilogy will be three Arnold Schwarzenegger movies you haven't seen and you write a review of them. So here is True Lies, Total Recall, and The Running Man.




Title: True Lies
Year: 1994
Director: James Cameron
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jamie Lee Curtis, Tom Arnold, Bill Paxton, Tia Carrere, Eliza Dushku, Charlton Heston
Rated: R


My Review: Say what you want about James Cameron, but the man knows how to make a great action movie. The editing and camera work in this movie is awesome. Charlton Heston makes a great cameo, as his character was inspired my Nick Fury.  Bill Paxton, and Tom Arnold are hilarious, in fact the line that he says about his ex-wife taking the ice cube trays in the divorce, really happened to him, when he divorced Roseanne. Jamie Lee Curtis does her own helicopter stunt, and genuinely falls during her strip tease that was left in the film. Arnold rides a horse into an elevator! where else can you see that? One of Arnold's best. 8 out of 10

Jonny's Review:  After seeing this for the first time, I had no idea what I was in for. I'm not convinced Schwarzenegger can be a 00 agent, because of his monotone style from beginning to end, or convinced in Tia Carrere really had an important role in the story. (but who really cares). I really enjoyed Jamie Lee Curtis and Bill Paxtons segments, but could only laugh when the film just cuts away for thirty minutes to focus on them, bad guys are patient, they can wait. But none of that takes away in the third act, it brings it all together. A great dorky film from a dorky lead actor. Best line, “your fired”, AND THEN HE FIRES HIM, oooh the irony is so delicious. One of Arnolds best. 8/10





Title: Total Recall
Year: 1990
Director: Paul Verhoeven
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sharon Stone, Ronny Cox, Michael Ironside, Rachel Ticotin, Marshall Bell
Rated: R

My Review: This movie is not to be taken seriously. With deformed mutant people, Arnold pulling a ping pong ball sized tracking bug out his nose, and a women with three titties. It's almost an action comedy. This movie was inspired by the Philip K. Dick short story "We can remember it for you wholesale" I always find it amusing to see what people thought the future would be like from the 70's and 80's. You mean we're going to colonize Mars, and implant false memories into our brain, but we still have big ass rear projection t.v.s?  And of course the Johnny cabs. If you like scifi movies, this one is a lot of fun. of course it's got Arnold, but it has a great supporting cast., great action scenes, and great special effects. And I highly recommend the audio commentary of this movie done by Arnold Schwarzenegger himself (there is a clip of it below). 7 out of 10

Jonny's Review: The next Schwarzenegger movie I haven't seen, and was not disapointed. Through most of the film was very well written, always had me engaged, but just something about it I didn't like, and I can't put my finger on it.  Sure the story was fine, the special effects are pretty good for it's time period, and I kind of think Arnold's performance was right up his alley, something he could do well. I even noticed a part in the film that must have inspired the matrix. The ending was really good, you'll just have to watch it and see for yourself. But True Lies was a little better. 7.5/10







Title: The Running Man
Year: 1987
Director: Paul Michael Glaser
Cast: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Maria Conchita Alonso, Yaphet Kotto, Richard Dawson, Jesse Ventura
Rated: R

My Review: First there was pro-wrestling, then there was UFC, and now there's running man! With the story being a little absurd, it does feel really familiar with the way games shows, and reality t.v. are going, it doesn't seem that far off. I mean Richard Dawson (Family Feud) has a line in which he says "get me the president's agent on the phone." yeah, I can see that happening soon. 2025 does not look good. This movie shows it's age, and has it's share of plot holes, but it's still dumb fun. A great movie to watch late at night after a some fun at the bar.  Based on the novel written by Stephen King, under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.  6 out of 10

Jonny's Review: this is the last Schwarzenegger movie I had yet to see, I wasn't impressed. It just seemed a little generic, almost nothing propels it into a classic film. Sure Arnold wasn't terrible in it, but he wasn't good ether. Sure I kind of liked the mega man-esc villians, but it just made it too fictional. it's another world fiction, like Super Mario other world, Matrix other world. I just don't see stuff like this happening in our future.So with out other things to say, the acting, plot, and feel just seemed too blaahhh.. and with strange sets and costumes over shinning those doesn't work. 5.5/10. 



No comments:

Post a Comment