Nov 21, 2011

Trilogy Week #3 Thanksgiving Movies


So I'm still learning how to do this blog thing, and today I figured out how to do line breaks. this is my first line break wow! so each of these trilogies have a theme that runs through them, if you haven't figured that out yet. the two previous weeks were #1 college movies, and #2 returned veterans movies. So here the first reviews (two of these movies are written by John Hughes, guess which ones) :

Title: Dutch
Year: 1991
Director: Peter Faiman
Cast: Ed O'Neill, Ethan Embry, JoBeth Williams, Christopher McDonald
Rated: PG-13 


My Review: Ed O'Neill hasn't been in a lot of movies, and that's a shame. Because the two movies I know he's in, he is hilarious. Which are Wayne's World, and this movie. This movie is a classic road trip movie in my eyes. It's very underrated. To me this was one of those bargain big diamonds, that I love finding. This movie is very similar in tone to Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, but John Hughes does a good job making these movies different. Both funny in their own rights. If you're a John Hughes fan, this is a must see. 7 out of 10




I couldn't find a clip online, so here's the trailer instead


Title: Son In Law
Year: 1993
Director: Steve Rash
Cast: Pauly Shore, Carla Gugino, Lane Smith, Cindy Pickett, Mason Adams, Patrick Renna
Rated: PG-13 

My Review: Culture shock! crazy hippies!, heavy metal!, bad traffic!, Pauly Shore!, whoa! California is so weird. What's a simple farm girl from South Dakota supposed to survive in Hollyweird. Yeah very cliche, and If you've seen a Pauly Shore movie before, you know how annoying he can be. And this to me, is his best movie, followed closely by In the Army Now. I do like this movie but I would rent this over buying it. and if you're not a fan of the Weasle, then don't bother. 5 out of 10








Title: Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Year: 1987
Director: John Hughes
Cast: Steve Martin, John Candy, 
Rated: R


My Review: Now the best for last! John Hughes is the king of teenage angst movies, then he became the king of holiday movies. This movie is road trip 101. The snowballing effect of chaos in this movie has been copied by a lot of good road trip movies (Tommy Boy, Due Date, Road Trip, etc.). Steve Martin and John Candy play brilliantly off each other, that's why this movie does so well. how can you not look at the poster and not laugh? again this is another must see. 8 out of 10









1 comment:

  1. Baldi!!! Those were all awesome. Dutch is one of my faves that no one knows about.

    ReplyDelete